Universal Design for Learning
Prior to reading all the readings within this assignment I wasn't the most familiar with Universal Design for Learning. Within the first website it gave me insight on what exactly UDL is, from this I learned that UDL is mainly about offering options to students to help build independence in their learning. As well as three main guidelines that UDL follows which are the “why”, “what”, and the “how” of learning. Also known as the Affective network, Recognition network, and Strategic network. Also the three principles of UDL provide multiple means of representation, action and expression, and engagement. I feel that one of the guidelines that I already do is Strategic Network within my own teaching practice. Strategic network focuses on the “how” of learning that looks like planning and organizing different ways students can demonstrate their knowledge about the content. How I implement this in my classroom would be graphic organizers, checklists, and goal-setting. Each of these strategies all allow the students to organize and self-assess their thinking and learning. Which I believe follows some of the UDL framework in the sense that it allows students to understand how their information can be interpreted. After reviewing the site that provides an interactive guide of the three principals, I can also see it follows one of the principles of design: multiple means of representation. Specifically 2.5 “Illustrate through multiple media” reason being because with graphic organizers it allows the students to either write or draw about their learning or setting their growth goals with a physical shaded chart to see their goals. Now for what guideline I feel that I can add “right now” into my teaching practice could possibly be the Recognition Network or the “what” of learning. Since this guideline focuses on the meaning of how to gather, categorize, and identify information, how I could implement this into my classroom is activating background knowledge and preview vocabulary. As well as using different mediums for teaching content such as books, videos, presentations, and pictures supports the learner's needs in interpreting information in various formats. The principal I can see tie into this concept would be “Representation” 3.3 “Cultivate multiple ways of knowing and making meaning” reason being because of the Recognition network focusing on the what of learning and getting the students to make sense of what they are learning through different modes. One guideline I feel that I would need the most support in is the “Affective Network” also known as the “why” of learning. I know as a teacher I hear the question from students “why are we learning this” or “why do we need to know this” where this guideline focuses on the why is something that can be implemented in the classroom to foster curiosity. What this can look like within the classroom is offering choices for students to learn, collaborative work between the students, and providing students with feedback to understand their learning. I feel that for me I mostly use a differentiated instruction approach in my teaching, which I see not as a bad practice but compared to the UDL framework is more a choose your learning style. Something that I think I would like to learn more about implementing UDL in STARR preparation. As someone who has taught a STARR grade level I would like to see if there is more information about assessment and UDL framework. Looking on the site CAST where the guidelines for the UDL framework can be found I also found a section for using UDL for assessments. Within the document it provides tips that educators such as align assessments to learning goals, offer authentic opportunities, invite metacognitive reflection, frequent formative assessment, and support learner variability through flexible assessments. It also provides questions for the educator to ask themselves if they are meeting the needs of the learners.
CAST. (n.d.). UDL Tips for Assessment. https://www.cast.org/wp-content/uploads/2024/12/cast-udltipsforassessment-20200920-a11y.pdf
CAST. (2024). The UDL Guidelines. The UDL Guidelines. https://udlguidelines.cast.org
Novak, K. (2017, February 1). UDL vs DI: The Dinner Party Analogy - Novak Educational Consulting. Www.novakeducation.com. https://www.novakeducation.com/blog/udl-vs-di-dinner-party-analogy
A why answer is because it's on the (State of TX Assessment of Academic Readiness) STAAR test!
ReplyDeleteI would also love to see how to better implement UDL when preparing for assessments with students! I love the idea of UDL, but I definitely need to see it modeled.
ReplyDeleteGreat comment about how UDL can help foster curiosity. I get tired of the "why are we learning this?" question as well! I hope to help students become more curious in the future.
ReplyDelete