Pedagogy before Technology
For me as a person a part of the Gen Z generation I do not believe that technology should be the focal point of education and instruction. I do believe it can have its benefits with some instructional strategies. With the new generations like Gen Alpha where they are growing up with sometimes unlimited access to technology and technology based learning. The difference between education when I was growing up from our current education state is different even from the span of 10 years. Which is seen in Bloom's Taxonomy, on how it went from more cognitive thinking to now the updated version more action based. It is important that there is an updated version of Bloom's Taxonomy because it reflects the ever changing educational strategies. I do admit that there are benefits to having technological based learning such as for stations in small groups or assessment. Technology should be used as a tool for learning. For me as a teacher I use technology for specifically small group instruction or stations. In the stations that the students do are applications like progress learning or Boddle where it combines learning with games. Now shifting to the mindset of a librarian I see how my school's librarian incorporates technology into her library which I found interesting. As time goes on I think it is inevitable to incorporate some form of technology into different content areas. Since the librarian provides information services I do see technology being a big component of a library. Which is why it is important for a librarian to be knowledgeable in technology applications, pedagogies, and trending in technology. So including courses about technology for those that are becoming librarians is important because technology can provide information so as a person who's service in informational studies it is imperative to incorporate technology in this age of technology. Along with the educational technology a librarian should be supported in professional developments that introduce new technological based applications. Teachers have to shift their mindset to instead of resist but to adapt to the new technological landscape. A way that is possible to collaborate with other educators for ideas and support. Such as the blog “Kathy Schrock's Guide to Everything” is something that educators can refer to and connect with others to share ideas. Which I think is a big part of teaching, collaborating and working together to ensure teachers are performing best practices for students.
References
Common Sense Education. (2015, August 5). Bloom’s Digital Taxonomy. Common Sense Education. https://www.commonsense.org/education/videos/blooms-digital-taxonomy
Churches, Andrew. (2008). Bloom's Digital Taxonomy.
Marist University. (n.d.). The First Marist Mindset List is Released. Marist College. https://www.marist.edu/w/marist-news-the-first-marist-mindset-list-is-released
Schrock, K. (2025). Kathy Schrock. Kathyschrock.net. https://www.kathyschrock.net/home
Toolkits. (n.d.). K-12 Blueprint. https://www.k12blueprint.com/toolkits
"Teachers have to shift their mindset to instead of resist but to adapt to the new technological landscape." I feel called out on this personally lol
ReplyDeleteI agree with the technology not being the focus of any lesson. I think it can enhance learning once the lesson has been taught, or students can use it to demonstrate their knowledge independently. In my kinder classroom, students used iPads or Chromebooks only at stations. Out of 10 rotations, only two had technology. One was for fun, and the other was required by the district. Comparing my kinders to technology-based classrooms, my kids could have better conversations and could write better.
ReplyDeleteI feel like education is stuck in the push of being technology-based, and then some teachers use it to their benefit instead of the child's benefit. Education is a hard job, and technology is not made to teach our kids. We are the teachers, and like you stated, if we do our best by connecting to others, than our kids should be the same way.